Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Confetti Cookies

I've had this post ready for awhile now, but after I made these cookies I saw an explosion of funfetti/confetti/birthday cake cookies and other treats all over the web. I didn't want to appear to be jumping on the bandwagon, so I didn't post these.

Now maybe enough time as passed. I really was the forerunner in this trend! Ha!

Okay, on to the fun!

I have a confession. I have a weakness for sprinkles. I just love them! They make me smile. And pretty much all children love the colorful little jimmies. It's pure sugar deliciousness and fun all rolled up into one bright little package!


These cookies bring all of that fun to your tastebuds. They are quick, easy, and a fun treat for any time.

When I say these are easy, I really mean it! I just threw a couple of handfuls of rainbow-colored jimmies into some sugar cookie dough before spooning out my cookies and baking them.

A handy tip - if you live anywhere near a Homegoods, try looking there for discounted sprinkles of all shapes, colors and sizes. They almost always have some at the store near me. If you use a lot of sprinkles, you can find them online in bulk for even cheaper!


Just look at all of that sprinkle goodness! Yum!

After they cooled, I topped my cookies with a quick swipe of buttercream and some little ball sprinkles.


One thing that you will notice about this recipe is that it contains shortening. Now, I usually opt for real butter in things like this, but these are soft and fluffy cookies and you just can't get the same rise or fluffiness with all butter. You can certainly sub in real butter, though. The cookies will still be delicious, but they will be noticeably more flat with the butter. Feel free to use whichever you like best!

Here is the recipe! Enjoy!

Soft and Fluffy Sugar Cookies with Simple Buttercream Icing

Cookies
2 cups (9 ounces) self-rising flour*
1/2 cup (3-1/4 ounces) butter-flavored shortening
1/2 cup (3-1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 to 3/4 cup rainbow jimmies or other small sprinkles

*Can substitute 2 cups (7 ounces) cake flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons baking powder, whisked together, for the self-rising flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and the sugars. Add extracts and mix well. Add the eggs and mix just enough to blend. Add half of the flour to the shortening mixture and mix just until blended. Add the remaining flour and mix by hand until blended. Stir in the sprinkles. The dough will be thick, so don't strain your mixer.

Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Drop tablespoon-sized balls of dough about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges. Cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Simple Buttercream Frosting
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk or cream
Gel color of your choice, if desired

Blend all ingredients together until combined. Spread onto cooled cookies. Decorate with colored sprinkles or colored decorating sugar, if desired. Store in an airtight container or freeze.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment