Friday, March 15, 2013

Spring Has Sprung

Hello!

That title is wishful thinking for me. Spring has not made it here quite yet, though I am wishing hard for it! Maybe soon it will be here. And maybe I can help it along with this cheerful little cake.

I recently saw a clutch on Pinterest with cute little folded circles on it. I immediately thought of cake and fondant circles. This week, I had the opportunity to try it out and I love how it looks!

I so wanted to post the inspiration picture here, but in my non-tech-savviness I cannot figure out how to do it. But I can give you the link! I do hope you take a look! Click here to see the inspiration for this cake! Here is the direct link to the blog post where I found the picture. Go and visit and show her some love too! And if any of you sew, she has some really fantastic ideas!

Now, back to the cake.




I wanted to use spring colors and my kids helped me to choose. We decided on green for the main color and a peek of yellow and orange in the circles, though in the pictures it looks all yellow. Of course, you could do this in any color combination or design.

To make the design, roll out some green fondant pretty thin and cut out all the circles. This design, including the little flower in the top of the cake, used 18 circles and a 1.5-inch round cutter. Cover them all with saran wrap to keep them from drying out while marbling some orange and yellow fondant. Use big pieces of each color and don't knead them together very much at all because they will just blend more when you roll it out. You can see from mine, above, that by the time I was finished with them, the orange had nearly disappeared. Roll and cut the marbled fondant just like the green, creating 18 new circles. Next, place the marbled fondant circles on top of the green fondant circles, sticking them together with a brush of vodka. Roll each one just a little to bond them together. Make sure to keep the rest covered so they won't dry out. The rolling will stretch out the circle a bit, so cut a new one with the same cutter and smooth the edges with your finger. Immediately fold over the top part of the circle on each side to make a little roll at the top with the bottom flared open. Seal the fold with a bit of vodka and press lightly but don't flatten it altogether. Place them on the cake beginning with the lowest line. Cover the pinched tops with the next row of circles. The pinched tops of the upper row can be covered with a strip of fondant.

For the flower on the top, Place six of the folded circles together with the flared ends facing out and cover the center pinched ends with tiny balls of fondant bunched together to look like a flower's center.



This cake was just for my family, so it is pretty small (6 inches). It is lightly lemon cake with strawberry jam and strawberry swiss meringue buttercream filling. I covered the cake in swiss meringue and then in fondant.

The whole time I was planning and working on this cake, I had in mind the inspiration that I linked to above. When I was nearing the end, it finally dawned on me that these little rolled circles were shaped just like calla lillies! There is nothing new in the world, huh? Well, I think this is a new spin on the calla lilly shape. I hope you like it!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment