Sunday, September 11, 2011

Leaf-Tip Cake



I almost forgot about this one! I thought I had shared it with you all, but as it turns out, I forgot. Sorry! I know you are dying to see it! :)

Remember when I told you about MisoBakes? She is an amazing cake designer and blogger who had the idea a few months ago to do a series of cake-decorating challenges. The participants have to use only one specific piping tip to pipe a buttercream design onto a small white or off-white cake. This is my second month participating and I am loving it!

For August, the challenge was to use a tip typically used to make leaves out of buttercream icing. We had to use this icing tip to pipe green icing onto a white or off-white 6- or 8-inch round cake. I had the honor of picking the challenge, so I was really excited to do it! Even though I picked the challenge, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do until the day before the challenge cake picture had to be sent in! I think maybe I picked a hard one! Oh, did I mention we couldn't do any leaves?

Well, this is what I came up with. I did little "c" shapes (or smiles and frowns if you want to look at it that way) kind of linked together and repeated all over the cake. I was really pleased in the end with the color and the design. It has texture and there are two different shades of green in there, which adds a little depth and interest to the cake.


I repeated the pattern all along the top, ending in the center. If a space of the white underneath was still showing, I just piped a little dot in the space to fill it in. You can hardly even see where I did that, so I think that worked well!


You can really see the color difference in the top view.

This cake, for those who are interested, was chocolate with vanilla buttercream filling and frosting. I ended up giving this one away to a friend. She is eating for two, so she needed it more than me! :)

To see the other entries in the challenge, check out the Miso Bakes Project here. (Notice that Miso is now posting the challenges and entries on a blog separate from her own cake blog.) Next month is another tricky one, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool effect! It looks complicated tho you made it sound easy. I love how the top looks, kinda like a flower in the center; cool variegated greens and beautiful plate!! I just checked out the other submissions using your challenge. It's cool to see everyone's interpretation and creativity. Tho it's not a competition, I do like yours the best, it's easy on the eyes plus everything I said above! : )

    ReplyDelete