Monday, September 26, 2011

Then and Now

Though I've been baking for a long time, I've been actually decorating cakes now for about a year and a half. I thought this was a good time to take a look back and see how far I've come! I hope you all will enjoy this too!

The first cake I ever decorated, other than just spreading some icing on the top, is this one. It was for my son's 4th birthday. He wanted Spiderman, so I bought little plastic spiderman toppers and used one on the top of this cake. I piped on the spiderweb and I remember feeling so pleased and proud of the final result. Will was thrilled, as you can imagine. He is still my biggest fan and best supporter!



I got the bug for sure and have been doing a lot of decorating ever since! Here is another one of my first cakes (click here). This one is from the cake decorating class that I took at my local Michael's store. To be honest, I really hated the idea of putting clowns on a cake! They seemed a little creepy to me. But piping them was fun and I liked how they turned out. You can see from the sides of this cake that I still hadn't quite mastered the art of spreading and smoothing icing. See the crumbs? It makes me cringe a little!

Then I decided to try fondant. That was in June of last year for Kate's 3rd birthday. I really love (still!) how this one turned out. Click here to see it! Oh, I really fell in love with working with fondant!

Here are some of my more recent cakes. Can you tell a difference? I know I still have a lot left to learn. But oh what fun it has been moving from that spiderman cake and those clowns to some of these cakes! I look forward to many more years of learning, improving, and getting to share my cake creations!

My biggest cake so far. This was a 10-inch, 8-inch, 6-inch, and 4-inch separated by small styrofoam spacers and decorating with fondant. I made it this past spring just for fun and practice. I really love this cake.


I also love these little buttercream cakes that I've been doing. They are fun, classic, and beautiful. I'm anxious to try some of these patterns and techniques on some bigger cakes. These you've seen already, but here they are again!




I hope you've enjoyed this trip down memory lane with me! Thanks for reading along!!


No comments:

Post a Comment