Friday, November 4, 2011

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies


Take a look at these. Don't they look delicious!

My sister made this recipe and was kind enough to share with us. She is the best! And so are these brownies!

Here is what Amy had to say... Enjoy!

"I got the idea to find a good peanut butter brownie recipe after visiting a bakery in town. The brownie I had there was so good and I wanted to try to make something similar. After trying a couple recipes, I decided to combine two recipes from Martha Stewart’s Cookies Cookbook. I took the brownie part from her Double Chocolate Brownies. It was nice and fudgy. Then I took the peanut butter filling part from her Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies. The only thing I changed was that I increased the peanut butter from what she had. I’m telling you this is probably the best brownie I’ve had and it’s certainly the best one I’ve made. These are so good.

"I also tried a couple different peanut butters to see if that made a difference. It does make a bit of a difference. Get one that you really like but I liked the creamy Krema brand. It’s one with just peanuts in it. You don’t really need anything else since these are already sweet.

"After they cool, I like to cut them into squares and put them in a big freezer bag. That way, I’m not eating dried up brownies a couple days later. I can have a fresh tasting one anytime! I have a piece defrosting on the counter right now. Better go…I’m going to top mine with homemade vanilla ice cream!"

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Adapted from Martha Stewart Cookies Cookbook

BATTER:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
6 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

FILLING:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup smooth natural peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside.

Put butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until butter and chocolate are melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl; set aside. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture; beat until combined. Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined.

To make the filling, stir together melted butter, confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.

Pour one-third of batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Drop dollops of peanut butter filling (about 1 tablespoon each) on top of batter, spacing about 1 inch apart. Drizzle remaining batter on top, and gently spread to fill pan. Drop dollops of remaining filling on top. Gently swirl peanut butter filling into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers.

Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out brownies; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmm!! These are my favorite brownies!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete