Friday, July 8, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Cake

I'm baking again! I've got four chocolate chip cakes in the oven right now baking away. Two six-inch and two four-inch. Mmmm! It smells so good! Three of these will be filled with milk chocolate ganache and stacked together for my next creation. I've been wanting to try to do what I'm calling an "ice cream cone cake" and my friend's son is having a birthday next week, so it is the perfect opportunity! I know that this little guy will love it!

I've been following a cake blog lately and this blogger often puts her sketches up for people to see. I liked that idea and I thought you might too. So, here is the sketch of my "ice cream cone cake." The sketch will help give you an idea of what I mean by the title. Oh, and I need to apologize for the quality of this picture. My scanner isn't working and this was the best I could get. Clearly I need more work on my photography! :)


The ice cream cone on the top is an actual ice cream cone. I'm planning on cutting off the tip and inserting a dowel in the bottom, then securing the dowel with melted chocolate or thickened ganache. For those who might not know, ganache is simply warmed heavy whipping cream with good-quality melted chocolate. It all gets whisked together into smooth chocolatey goodness. It is a dream to work with and a dream to eat. And it is the perfect smooth cake covering to put under fondant! It firms up when it dries, but doesn't get really hard, so I'm thinking it will be a good thing to use to keep the cone on the cake and upright. The rest of the cone will be filled with crumbled cake mixed with buttercream icing. I will take this mix and form it into a big ball for the ice cream on top of the cone, then frost it with more buttercream and top it with rainbow sprinkles. I'm hoping it will look like real ice cream! We'll see...

Well, three of the cakes are done and they look wonderful. I can't wait to get to the decorating tomorrow! And I'm really looking forward to some of the scraps! I will be sure to post the finished cake later this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment